July 17, 2020
Dear Goodwater Families:
I hope this update finds you and your families safe. We understand how difficult this time of uncertainty is for all of our families and staff. As we plan for the school re-opening, the safety of our students and staff is top priority. Our two task force groups - 1) Delivery of Instruction and 2) Operational Contingencies During COVID - are moving forward with plans to safely and responsibly reopen school and to provide a robust education for our students.
Please note, next Thursday, July 23rd, 2020, we will have a Virtual School Board Workshop/Supplemental Board Meeting, through Zoom at 3:00 pm. At the workshop, Administration and staff will be updating the Board with the plans related to the 2 task force groups. The Agenda for the workshop will be posted on Monday, July 20, 2020. If you would like to speak at the workshop, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2:00 pm, July 23, 2020.
I will be recommending to the Board for approval at the Supplemental Meeting on July 23rd as follows:
- Goodwater should move the first day of school to August 20, 2020 (from August 13th) to allow more time to develop our plans for the reopening of school for Delivery of Instruction and Operational Contingencies During COVID-19.
- Beginning on August 20, 2020, the entire school should operate via Remote Instruction for four weeks until September 17, 2020. At that time, families will be able to choose their location (in person or remote) for the remainder of the quarter; or we will continue in remote instruction for 4 more weeks as allowed by current TEA guidelines.
Please note, the task force groups and Administration will modify and enhance plans as more information continues to be provided by TEA and the state and local health organizations.
It is our hope that outlining a safe and responsible reopening plan will provide assurance to our community that we are committed to the safety and wellbeing of our students and staff, as well as to the Montessori educational experience.
Thank you for your patience and support during this challenging time.
FALL INSTRUCTIONAL PLANNING UPDATE
We know that families are waiting on further details about the Remote Instructional plan, including the curriculum, software, class placements, and time commitments. We will be rolling out those details as soon as they are ready. We hope to have a timeline for a rollout next week. As a Montessori school with mixed age classrooms, a non-traditional curriculum, and students ages PK3 - 8th grades, our planning is more complex. This is one of the reasons we are delaying the start of school by a week.
Please note that we will be able to supply devices to families who will need them for remote learning.
We sent a survey last week to families to indicate their learning location of choice and get additional information about their needs, remote learning capabilities, and student supports. You can see the results of key questions at this link:
KEY RESULTS FROM THE JULY 2020 INTENTION FORM
Coordinating multiple instructional possibilities is complex and we appreciate your input. We want to provide the best possible Montessori learning experience for our students in the in-person and remote learning environments.
- The new Coronavirus page on our website will provide information and updates regarding our fall reopening plan. https://www.goodwatermontessori.org/apps/pages/coronavirus.
- Please send questions regarding the Fall opening plans to: email@example.com.
- If you have not already, please sign up for Remind messaging from the school as a supplement to our regular email updates. To receive the updates from the school via text and/or the Remind app, please text @goodwat to 81010 (for text messages) or download the Remind App and use the @goodwat tag (to join the app messaging from Goodwater.)
HEALTH AND SAFETY UPDATES FOR IN-PERSON SCHOOL
School Safety protocols are set by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), Department of State Health Services (DSHS), Williamson County and Cities Health District (WCCHD), along with guidance from The Texas Education Agency (TEA).
Here are the latest updates for Health and Safety measures on campus:
- All public schools, including Goodwater, will be receiving Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) from TEA.
- We are investing in medical grade sanitation equipment to clean our classrooms each day.
- Closure protocols in the event of Covid cases on campus are still being established based on health department and TEA Guidance. Please note that in the event of a closure due to Covid-19, the school will provide remote instruction for all students.
- There will be a board-approved mask requirement for students and all staff when we return to school.
- A protocol to screen all staff and students prior to entering the school is being finalized.
- Parents and caregivers will be asked to answer screening questions relating to COVID.
All Immunization records must be up to date and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to August 20th, even if the school is operating remotely.
All entering 7th graders must have their updated 7th grade immunizations.
More information about immunization requirements in public schools is here: https://www.goodwatermontessori.org/apps/pages/ImmunizationRequirements